July 9th, 2007
I’m giving my The Dawning of the Age of Experience presentation in Seattle tomorrow night and you’re invited.
Here are the details:
What: The July Meeting of ACM Puget Sound SigChi
Date: This Tuesday, July 10th
Location: The Boardroom in the One Union Square Building, Seattle
No registration is required for this free meeting of interested professionals. Please feel free to forward this message.
Networking starts at 6 pm, with the presentation at 7 pm. Job announcements will follow.
Experience design is no longer a nice-to-have luxury of a few organizations with tons of money and exceptional visionary management. It’s become commonplace for organizations that build products and web sites. Experience Design is a centerpiece of boardroom discussions and quickly becoming a key performance indicator for many businesses.
However, you can’t just hire a couple of “experience designers” and tell them, “Go do that voodoo that you do so well.” Today’s business environment forces us to build multi-disciplinary teams, compiling a diverse group of skills and experiences to handle the many facets of the technical, business, and user requirements.
In his usual entertaining and insightful manner, Jared will talk about what it takes to build a design team that meets today’s needs.
He’ll demonstrate how successful Experience Design:
+ Must integrate the needs of the users with the requirements of the business
+ Is learned, but not available through introspection
+ Must be invisible to succeed
+ Is cultural
+ Is multi-disciplinary
+ Thrives best in an “educate and administrate” environment
You’ll see examples of designs from Apple’s iPod, Netflix, the Mayo Clinic, and Southwest Airlines, to name a few.
Location and Directions to the One Union Square Board Room. The meeting will be held in the Board Room of the One Union Square building in Seattle, (600 University St, Seattle, WA 98101-1176).
* Take the Union Street exit
* Turn Left on the Seventh Avenue Drive-thru (first light just after the Union Street exit)
* The Seventh Avenue Drive-thru travels under Two Union Square. The Garage entry is mid-block on the right. There is a fee for parking in the garage.
* Take the Seneca Street exit
* Turn right at the first light onto Sixth Avenue
* Take a soft right at University Street (Be careful to stay left of the concrete divider separating University Street from the freeway onramp. Turning hard right will put you onto the Freeway)
* University Street curves left and becomes the Seventh Avenue
Drive-thru behind Union Square. Look for the sign indicating the parking garage entrance on your left. There is a fee for parking in
In the Parking Garage
* Park near the West garage elevators. Take the West elevators to the Fireplace Lobby. At the Fireplace Lobby, walk toward One Union Square to your right. As you exit the Fireplace Lobby you will see escalators on your left. The Union Square Boardroom is located directly behind the escalators.
If you’re interested in this sorta stuff and you live in the greater Seattle area, I highly recommend you get on the Puget Sound SIGCHI announcement list. You can sign up by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.orgTweet